Monday, January 21, 2013

Frank Frazetta and Jim Murray

Jim Murray is one of my favorite artists. I had no idea how much Frank Frazetta had influenced him. The first thing I thought of when I saw the relationship between their artwork was that I could not believe how much Jim got away with putting Frazetta in his work without being called a clone. This is a really great example of defining how far you can take someone else's work as an influence and incorporate it into your own work. I think that's a question a lot of people have. How much is to much before I cross the line and just become a cheap imitation of my favorite artist? Personally I am going to use this as my benchmark.

Of course that doesn't mean I am condoning trying to rip other peoples work. Whatever you see about the work of another person that really appeals to you why not try and figure it out for yourself? Do some studies and learn that new trick whatever it is, and make it your own. Everyone doesn't have the same vision as you so if you learn to adapt and apply new things to your art you will grow.


No comments:

Post a Comment